Election results stir students to action

After a divisive and intense election cycle, Donald J. Trump, the politically incorrect, hot-headed, real estate mogul, will be the 45th President of the United States.

His unconventional and controversial rhetoric has motivated concerned citizens across the country to protest, even here at HHS.

Senior Kira Hanson, a staunch Clinton supporter, rallied her friends to participate in a silent protest the days following the election. They wore all black and sat for the national anthem.

“That morning we were all very upset about the outcome. We discussed sitting but calling it a protest is inaccurate,” she said. “We were upset with the country as a whole and simply didn’t want to stand for the national anthem. It’s not a protest because we aren’t trying to change anything, we know Donald Trump will be president.”

Other students were upset for other reasons. Some, such as senior Kalina Bergmann, were aggravated about the Electoral College.

“The protests were justified, and I’m in favor of reforming the Electoral College because the majority of the country clearly preferred Hillary Clinton,”she said.

But she is not calling Donald Trump an illegitimate president as “under the current system, he won fairly,” Bergman said.

A number of students found the actions of Clinton supporters immature and disrespectful.

“Hillary Clinton said in her concession speech that we must accept the results,” senior Charlie Dumas said. “The flag stands for more than an election, it stands for our country, our veterans, and our freedom. I would not sit for the national anthem if Clinton was elected.”

Senior Steph Auslander, who voted for Hillary Clinton, said “I was surprised by the results but I would never sit for the national anthem. It’s just disrespectful.”

Students are not only concerned about Trumps actions, they are also worried about his Vice President Mike Pence and Trump’s selection for his cabinet.

Bergmann said, “I’m more concerned about Mike Pence’s beliefs about homosexuals and evolution.”

AP government teacher Stephen Simoes voiced concern about Trump’s pick of Steve Bannon for his cabinet.

“I’m not happy about that pick” Simoes said. “I’m always hesitant to chastise a person about what they have said and done in the past, but this is a very important time for Donald Trump to not pick divisive people for his cabinet.”

Some have said the election of Donald Trump has encouraged bullying of minorities and members of the LGBTQ community at school. However, these reports are unconfirmed.

“I had friends that were called gay slurs the Wednesday after the election and friends who asked if they were going to get deported,” Hanson said.” I think people feel more justified to say these things because of the election of Donald Trump.”

Vice Principal Joshua Hanna said that he is aware of students sitting for the national anthem and the supposed incidents of bullying. Hanna said his goal is to make sure that “the situation does not spin out of control and to ensure that everyone has a safe learning environment.”