Girls’ Football Tackles 15 Years of Tradition

On November 17, the junior and senior girls will face off at the school’s annual girls’ football game. This event benefits both grades and contributes to the rich history of the girls’ football program.

“It’s one of [the school’s] biggest events of the year,” said coach Michael Webb.

The class of 2023 goes head to head against the class of 2024 in the 14th annual girls’ football game. The seniors won, continuing the senior class’s long-standing winning streak. “We’re really proud of the fact that we’ve been able to sustain the game for as long as we have,” says Michael Hooker. (Christine Strickland )

Webb has been involved with girls’ football for the past 13 years, starting as a referee. Over the years, he became an assistant coach and recently became the head coach for the senior team. On top of this, he is a class advisor to the senior class.

“People don’t realize that even though it’s a fundraiser for the junior and senior classes, the freshmen sell tickets and the sophomores run the concession stand. It’s a whole-school event,” Webb explained. 

“We usually make a good few thousand dollars for both the junior and senior class,” girls’ football coordinator and junior coach Michael Hooker said.

Members of the Class of 2024 junior team pose for a picture before their game. The team boasts over 50 players this year. (Christina Galego)

The money raised for each class has helped fund class events, including prom and Senior Week, since the school’s first girls’ football game in 2008.

“Administration heard about other schools that were doing girls football games,” added Hooker, who was one of the people who originally brought the event to the school. “We figured we could use it as a fundraiser that would also be fun and bring the classes together.”

“In 2008, we played eight versus nine. It was very similar to how it is now, but it was less organized. I think we had one practice before the game,” recalled senior coach Jessie Karner. 

Now, each team practices at least once per week for six weeks.

Karner, an HHS graduate, participated as a student-athlete in the first girls’ football game in 2008. The event has since skyrocketed in popularity.

“When we played in 2008, there were probably 40 fans in the stands. Now, full classes come and cheer on their team,” she said. 

“This year, we had 72 Junior girls sign up to play and over 50 seniors,” Hooker said.

The uptake in student participation has been matched with heavy efforts from staff. As the event has grown, administrators have worked hard to keep up with the growing pace of girls’ football. 

“Mr. Hooker, who is really the coordinator and the mastermind of all this, helps hire the coaching staff and recruits coaches so the event can be successful,” Karner said.

The girls will play at Hughes Stadium. “I’ve been a part of girls’ football games in the past that have been bigger than the Thanksgiving Day football game,” Web said.

“Logistically, you have to prepare for the game, get maintenance for the field, find referees and athletic trainers, and broadcast the game on HCAM,” Hooker described.

While girls’ football may be one of the biggest fundraisers and events of the year, it serves a much greater purpose. 

“I think, sometimes, we as a school get so focused on grades, clubs, and athletics,” Karner said. “This is a good way for everyone to get together.” 

“I also think there’s an equality piece of it,” she continued. “There are young women everywhere who want to play football, and this is a fun chance for them to do it.”

Students and staff alike agree that this is an event worth attending.

“The game is something a lot of teachers plan to go to, and a lot of students attend as well,” Karner said.

“It might be one of the coolest events that you remember from high school,” Webb said. “You won’t regret it if you come out to watch it.”