Friendsgiving: Making Long-Lasting Friendships With A Meal

Kiera Pritchard
Members of the Ambassadors Club enjoy their 2023 Friendsgiving meal.

The Ambassadors Club is already beginning preparations for its annual Friendsgiving, set to take place on November 19th.

“[Friendsgiving] is an event to get to know the exchange students and it allows them to experience the Thanksgiving aspect of American culture,” said Ambassadors Club Vice President Kiera Pritchard.

The event has been hosted in the past to bring together students from around the world to engage in the specific American tradition.

“The point is for international students to get a glimpse of what Thanksgiving here is like while surrounded by friends,” said club advisor Ms. Hernandez.

“We want them to have an experience of community in an environment of food to take [home] with them.”

The club began hosting Friendsgiving about five years ago. Over the years, it has become a club tradition.

“We have been hosting [Friendsgiving] for a very long time,” said treasurer Devya Batra. “Last year, 25 to 30 students came.”

Preparations for this year’s event have recently begun.

“I’ve worked with Mr. Longoria [former club advisor] on the details for catering,” said Hernandez.

“We will probably do a potluck, so we’re organizing who will be bringing what.”

Last year’s Friendsgiving was hosted in a club member’s home and traditional foods were shared.

“Fun was had by all,” Longoria said.

According to Longoria, the first Friendsgiving was a pot-luck in the high school cafeteria. This year’s event will be similar.

The event is set to take place on Sunday, November 19.

“It’s confirmed in the [high school] cafeteria from 12-2 p.m.,” Pritchard said.

Students not currently involved in the Ambassadors Club can also get involved Friendsgiving any year.

“The best way [to get involved] would be to join our Schoology page and contact the club leaders to be put on the email list,” said Hernandez. “Or, to come to our Thursday meetings after school.”

“Students interested in getting to know interesting classmates should come and get to know them,” said Hernandez. “They can get involved in whatever capacity they are able to.”

“The point is to make long-lasting friendships with people from all over the world.”