A Helping Halloween From The Science Department

Teachers dress up in support of a good cause for Halloween
Flyer found in science classrooms, promoting donations to the Serenity House.

Since their department meeting at the beginning of the year, the science teachers have been ready to display their new costumes. This year they elected to support the community service club as they make blankets for The Serenity House in Framingham. The day before Halloween, the science department, led by Wonderwoman Charlotte Shire, dressed up as the Avengers and collected donations from students and faculty in support of a good cause.

AP Environmental Science teacher Charlotte Shire has participated in Teacher Halloween for over ten years.

“This year we are supporting the Community Service Club in a project to make blankets for the Serenity House”, Shire said.

Each teacher within the science department had a donation bucket located in their classroom. In every class, teachers remind students if they wanted to donate, it would be for a good cause.

“The science department has always been our top contributor to this project,” Community Service Club President Jason Girard said.

The Wizards of Oz - Charlotte Shire stands amongst a group of high school students during teacher Halloween in 2018. Shire has been a part of the fundraiser for a very long time. “I first started after a student approached me to dress up with her,” Shire explained.Being a long-time participant in teacher Halloween, Shire has great memories from the event. Some of her favorite costumes come from previous years.

“I most enjoyed it when the three physics teachers did Ghostbusters,” Shire said.

This costume was before the Science Department decided to do a group costume each year.

Shire mentioned, “The department got involved about six years ago … now we discuss our ideas for costumes at each department meeting”

The involvement of the entire department has been much to the benefit of the Community Service Club. Now instead of only two or three teachers participating they have gained the support of almost ten teachers across the school.

A lot has changed since Ms. Shire dressed up for her first Halloween costume. Including the retirement of English teacher Marie Martin who helped arrange donations to charities.

This included a personal favorite of Ms. Shire’s, the Make-a-Wish foundation.

“That charity [Make-a-Wish] is one that I am very connected to,” Shire said.

Although the Avengers costume may not have matched the enjoyment of the Ghostbusters, teacher Halloween is always a highlight of Ms. Shire’s year, and that trend certainly continued this year.

To complement the teacher’s festivities, the student council decorated the school in preparation for Halloween.

Student council member and President Sean McCann mentioned that “Student Council had meetings once a week for three weeks beforehand, getting the decorations ready, making the decorations and putting them up around the school.”

The task involved the work of various grades and volunteers from around the community.

Friday Fright - Student council members placed frightening decorations all over the school. This skeleton is located just outside the guidance office. “The setup took over an hour and a half,” Sean McCann said.
Friday Fright – Student council members placed frightening decorations all over the school. This skeleton is located just outside the guidance office. “The setup took over an hour and a half,” Sean McCann said.

Decorations around the school reminded students of teacher and student Halloween competitions.

Although there were no fundraisers run by the student council, “I know the teachers are raising money for the community service club.” McCann said.

Halloween festivities were on full display in the high school and will be for years.