Dangerously Good: One Size’s Talc Infused Pink Powder

Lillian Gallagher
One Size’s Ultimate Blurring & Setting Powder in the color Ultra Pink has been hot on the markets since its launch in 2023.

Setting powder has been one of the most popular products in cosmetics this past year, with different brands dropping new formulas every few months. This includes One Size, which recently launched a pink powder that instantly soared in popularity: the Ultimate Blurring Setting Powder in the color Ultra Pink. While the brand’s setting powder has been out for a few years in its original three colors, its newest color has drawn much attention.

The idea of the product is to extend the blushy tones beyond the cheeks and to the undereye area. Ideally, the power creates a gradient effect from the cheek to the undereye, with the pink tone more concentrated in the cheek area. This creates a smooth, matte finish on the face, creating the illusion of a flawless complexion.

However, there is a major concern regarding the formulation of this product: the inclusion of talc, especially as the first ingredient.

Talc can be quite easily inhaled, especially when it is milled as finely as it is in this product. While the inhalation of this mineral is not known to cause immediate health concerns, some scientists claim that long-term exposure has links to cancers and other respiratory illnesses. 

With most beauty products on shelves now being talc-free, there is pressure on One Size to reformulate the Ultimate Blurring Setting Powder.

This is no easy decision, as the inclusion of talc is exactly what makes the product perform so well—especially compared to talc-free products. Talc powder is very effective in moisture-wicking. When applied to the face, it picks up almost all traces of oil, allowing for an instant mattifying effect.

The design of the product's container can make dispensing the setting powder quite difficult but does a good job of preventing messes.
The design of the product’s container can make dispensing the setting powder quite difficult but does a good job of preventing messes. (Gallagher)

Another target of criticism has been the product’s packaging. While the container is well-manufactured, it is not well-designed. This can make dispensing the setting powder quite difficult.

After the top of the container is unscrewed, another, internal lid must be flipped open. Once that lid is lifted, there is yet another plastic layer, which is fixed in place.

In fact, the actual product is never fully exposed. The only way to get the product out is by pouring it through the small openings on this plastic layer. These openings collectively form the phrase “O / S”, the brand’s logo.

While this is creative and aesthetically pleasing, it limits the functionality of the container. The logo has an asymmetrical shape, and many have also complained that the openings themselves are too small.

With these factors at play, the container must be fully flipped upside down for any powder to come out, obstructing visibility to the product. This can cause too much or too little product to be poured out at a time. If the container had a larger opening, it would be easier to pour at an angle, allowing for visibility, and the desired amount of product to get dispensed.

The setting powder initially dispenses with a pebble-like consistency.
The setting powder initially dispenses with a pebble-like consistency. (Gallagher)

Even then, the powder comes out with a rather pebble-like texture and must be manually broken up before use.

On a more positive note, the design of the container is great for conquering potential messes. Loose powders are inherently messy—think of the floury storm that forms after baking cookies.

Furthermore, excess powder can be “returned” by simply depositing it on top of the plastic layer and tapping it back through the openings without causing much mess, eliminating waste. While some believe that this is unsanitary, most appreciate this convenience.

One Size also sells a powder puff designed to be used with this setting powder, called the Ultimate Setting & Baking Puff. Although the powder puff is high-quality, its untraditional shape can be difficult to work with. 

Most powder puffs are triangular shaped to fit effortlessly into the crease of the under eye.

One Size also makes the Ultimate Setting & Baking Puff, which is intended to be used with the setting powder.
One Size also makes the Ultimate Setting & Baking Puff, which is intended to be used with the setting powder. (Gallagher)

One Size’s product, however, is a stout oval shape. Therefore, the puff has to be folded and manipulated to reach the crevices of the face. On the other hand, it has a larger surface area than the traditional puff, allowing for faster powdering.

Once the setting powder actually goes on, things start looking more optimistic.

Upon application, the product goes on very smoothly and evenly. It is ultra-mattifying and has a strong hold on the skin. This not only hides all textural imperfections but can set makeup in place for over eight hours.

The cool pink color, although subtle, can be built up to one’s desire with additional applications. The shade is perfect for those who have fair, cool-toned skin—many of whom have difficulty finding powders that suit their undertones. This is because most products have warm to neutral undertones that can make their skin look yellow.

The pink color works beautifully when used at the undereye to provide the blush gradient that consumers are after.

However, when used beyond the undereye to set the rest of the face, the pink color can look a bit unnatural. A powder that is a closer color to skin tone would camouflage blemishes better.

Overall, this setting powder does the bare minimum (setting the face) pretty well. However, it has no other redeeming qualities. The pink color is certainly unique, but any other blush or eyeshadow could be applied atop another powder for the same effect—and possibly less money.

Those looking specifically for extreme mattifying qualities or long-lasting wear should reach for this setting powder the next time they head to Sephora. For example, someone who works long days and wears makeup during all those hours would find great use in this product. Yet for $18.00, most people could purchase a powder that is more easily dispensed, talc-free, and nearly as effective.