Drama Students Fundraise Their Way to Scotland

Drama students Kate Phelan, Matt Clark, Alex Graham, and Emma Howe (left to right) pose while making posters for events to raise money for their trip to Scotland. Photo by Soumya Mehrotra

By Soumya Mehrotra
The Hopkinton High School Drama Department has proven their talent by being selected to perform at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival in Scotland this August.  This festival is considered the most prestigious and largest arts festival in the world.

Since February, the drama students, their parents, and their teachers have all been very involved in raising money for the trip.

Many of the students sang at Barnes and Noble in Bellingham in February, and customers who mentioned the singers at the counter got a discount on the books they were buying.  Night on the Town was another very successful event in which drama students babysat the children of some Hopkinton families so the parents could have a night out.  “It was a great way for young kids to get together and share the drama experience,” said Mehr Kaur, a drama student.  Also, in April, the department hosted a Spaghetti dinner at the local Golden Spoon, where the students volunteered to make different kinds of pasta and serve the customers, with profits going towards the trip.

The drama students are also planning on holding an Indian Classical Music concert to raise money for going to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, although the date has yet to be determined.  “This is the first time we are bringing something diverse to the Drama Department.  I hope it turns out well,” said Kaur.