Marissa Smith: A familiar face at HHS

Jack Lang

Marissa Smith, Class of 2023, is one of Hopkinton High School’s most charismatic individuals.

Senior Marissa Smith is a familiar face in the halls of Hopkinton High School. Since her freshman year, Smith has cultivated a larger-than-life personality through her involvement with her community. Beyond academics, she dedicates much time to her long list of extracurriculars. Her favorite, she says, is lacrosse. 

“I love lacrosse because it’s a fun sport that challenges me,” she said. “I am really proud to represent my school.” 

As the starting goalie of the girls’ lacrosse team, Smith is a fierce competitor who prides herself in being mentally tough, confident, and most importantly, consistent. She believes that consistency is the most important characteristic of any person and strives to be someone her friends and family can rely on.

Smith is also active in several clubs, including the Clay Club, Crafting Club, Debate, and Mock Trial. Marissa makes countless new friends through her many activities.

“I try to socialize with people in and out of school as much as I can. Extracurriculars are a great way of staying involved, meeting new people, and trying new things.” 

At home, Marissa enjoys reading novels and watching Netflix. She also likes attending sporting events, particularly the varsity football and volleyball games. She says that the school spirit makes these games exciting and fun to watch, and she never fails to dress for the occasion when she arrives at the student section.

Marissa plans on studying political science or criminal justice in college. She wants to eventually pursue a career in law. 

“My dream is to become a public defender,” says Smith. “I am really interested in law because it affects so many aspects of our lives, and having a good understanding of it is more important than people realize. I want to make a positive impact on other people’s lives.” 

Smith provides a few words of wisdom to underclassmen as they navigate high school.

“My advice for underclassmen would be to stay on top of your school work, and don’t care about what other people think about you because everyone is too focused on themselves.”