Meeting… Finley Mick, Sophomore, Class of 2025, and History Enthusiast

“Meeting…” is an ongoing series featuring people from all parts of the high school community (inspired by the NYT Open series of the same name).

What are your pronouns?

He/Him/His

Which class/year are you in?

2025, or a sophomore at Hopkinton High School.

What is a job/title/role you identify as?

A student at Hopkinton high school.

What does that mean to you?

Being a student means going to school every day when I need to and making sure I do my homework.
Other than what I’m required to do, making sure I get all the education I need for later on in life to achieve other accomplishments and pursue my dreams.

How long have you been part of the high school?

2 years.

After all the remote schooling, where do you do schoolwork these days?

Usually in my dining room, or anywhere where it’s somewhat quiet, which would normally be my room or my basement. It depends on where my brothers are at the time.

How do you start your day?

I wake up, get dressed, go downstairs, eat a bowl of cereal, brush my teeth, and get ready to leave. Then Declan, my brother, drives me and my little brother to school every day.

What is something you’ve spent a lot of time on recently that really interests you?

Going on the Xbox or Declan’s PC…usually Minecraft, or just games where you can really not do a lot and play for a while and not get bored of it; Tony Hawk Pro Skater is also really fun. It’s a skateboarding game where you try to get to the bottom of the obstacle course and get trick bonuses.

Tell us about a project/accomplishment/hobby/goal, in or out of school, you’ve worked on and you’re especially proud of.

Last year we did a project on war crimes in history, and I was pretty proud of how we did that. It was about Japanese war crimes during WWII – Unit 731 and the Rape of Nanking. Those were some pretty horrible things.

What was your favorite subject and why?

History, I’ve always loved History. It started with Greek Mythology and went to History because they kind of correlate with one another. It just interests me. The events that happened, the measures that could have been taken to make sure they didn’t happen, and how everything just kind of lines up perfectly.

What is something most people don’t know about you?

My family’s first dog was named after a pub in Notre Dame. I don’t know a lot about him. He died when I was three years old. I don’t have too many stories about him, but I would take him out in the rain sometimes. My older siblings knew him better, but I know I like playing with my dog bandit.

What is your secret to happiness?

Dogs or animals, just chilling with them or hanging with them. They’re great to be around and really comforting. I just really enjoy being around them. They make me happy.

What is your superpower?

My love of history. I have really focused on that most of my life for school stuff and it’s what I’ve always been most excited for.

Who or what inspires you?

My mom. She’s really nice and has done a lot for our family, so she’s always been an inspiration. She’s motivational and helpful. When I need her and ask for help, she’s always willing to help. She’s always there for me, which inspires me.

Name one thing you’re excited about right now.

Going home. I’d rather be at home and relax than at school. I like getting my homework done early so I can get it out of the way and play Xbox. I enjoy school, but I’d much rather prefer being at home.

What is your best advice for your fellow students?

Work hard. Do homework. Don’t cheat. Just try to enjoy everything about high school.