Meeting . . . Lauren Burnie, Class of 2026

“Meeting…” is an ongoing series featuring people from all parts of the high school community (inspired by the NYT Open series of the same name).

What are your pronouns?
My pronouns are she/her.

What is a job/title/role you identify as?
I don’t have a job right now, so just a student. I want to work at Kidsborough next year though.

What does that mean to you?
It means learning new things, meeting new people, and overall, the high school experience.

How do you start your day?
I wake up, eat breakfast and get dressed for school. I do my make-up in the morning and my sister, Morgan, always complains about how long I am taking.

What is something you’ve spent a lot of time on recently that really interests you?
Probably dance. I do competitive dance. My favorite types of dances are lyrical, contemporary, and ballet. I have been dancing since I was nine years old, so I have been dancing for five years.

Tell us about a project/accomplishment/hobby/goal, in or out of school, you’ve worked on and you’re especially proud of.
Dance and also with school—probably my grades. I have gotten my grades up from C’s to A’s during 8th grade and this year too. I have started one of my new dances for the competition season. I am not sure which one’s my favorite dance since I am learning two other ones that I haven’t started yet. I am excited to learn the Teen Beach Movie dance.

What is something most people don’t know about you?
Something that people may not know about me is that I love makeup. I also like to run for fun. I was thinking about doing indoor track for the winter, but I don’t know if I can because I dance a lot. I dance almost every day of the week and track is [also] every day of the week.

What is your secret to happiness?
Friends and family, especially my older sister Morgan.

What is your superpower?
Being able to deal with Morgan. My real-life superpower is being able to study hard. I am always motivated, which is not true for Morgan. In a comic book, I would want to be able to read people’s minds. Morgan thinks I’m nosey because of this, but I think it would be fun to find out what people are thinking.

Who or what inspires you?
I would have to say, Sophia Lucia. She is the best dancer in the world, so she inspires me to do more. Sophia Lucia was actually on Dance Moms.

What is your best advice for your fellow students?
Listen to your teachers because there are a lot of kids in my class who don’t. Make sure you try hard and study hard.