Senior Nick Poillucci of Hopkinton High School Claims TVL Champion Title for Shot Put

Shot put an event that requires as much if not more technique than strength. It involves putting a twelve pound ball on your shoulder and without letting it fall from there lift it up and throw it all while standing and staying inside of a circle. The shotput can be thrown indoors and outdoors unlike some field events like discus and javelin.

Nick Poillucci took ease to throwing the shotput with this only being his second season on the track team and being able to claim the title of Tvl champion.

As the Hillers indoor track season winds to an end for most athletes those who have become one of the best in their event stick around to compete for the title of Tvl champion. According to the throwing coach Mike Donahue, this comes to no surprise, “ Over the last 10 years they have won at least 21 TVL throwing titles.” Coach Donahue continued, “ The competition was tight. In the top 5 no one athlete stood out as the clear favorite. The difference between the number one seed and the 10th seed in the TVL meet was only 3 feet, many years it is over 10 feet.”

When talking to Nick Poillucci about how he prepared for the season and mainly to win the tvls he said, “ During the off season I focused on building my power as that is a key component for both of my sports, track and football.” He continued, “ During the season I would continue to build my strength as well as work on my technique in order to throw further.”

According to Nick Poillucci, “ The level of competition in the TVL was very high. I consistently competed against quality opponents. I never felt like I was outmatched but I also always felt the pressure of the opponent.” Nick also said that the high level of competition, “ Made me work more and more in order to compete with the other improving competition.”

One of Nick Poillucci’s teammates, senior Matt Burns said, “ Nick is one of the hardest working athletes that i have ever got to play with.” Coach Donahue agreed with him saying, “ He did everything I asked of him especially considering he had a foot injury throughout most of the season.”