Schoolwide Opinions on the Death of Osama bin Laden

By Casey Rector, Marissa Gross, and Maria Moreno

Osama bin Laden, terrorist and founder of al-Qaeda, was announced dead on the night of Sunday, May 1, 2011.  He was killed by the United States’ Navy SEALs in his compound near Abottabad in northwest Pakistan.  Of course, this created a lot of excitement at Hopkinton High School, along with a wide range of energenic opinions and ideas.

Among the most popular of opinions was that the murder of bin Laden has brought justice for those killed in terrorist attacks like the destruction of the World Trade Center and other buildings on September 11, 2001, and, perhaps to an even greater extent, awarded the United States a great achievement.

“I think the U.S. Navy did a good thing; now al-Qeada can finally crumble,” says Mary-Kate Cavanaugh, a freshman.

“I love America.  This is the epitomy of justice.  I was involved in the riot in the second lunch.  I would do that infinity more times.  God Bless America!” says Mike Decina. 

Mr. Bishop, vice principal, says, “I think it is a great day for the country–it was a long time coming.  It’s closure for a lot of people.”

“It is a blow to morale for the terrorists,” asserts sophomore Alex Kirshey.

Another very popular thought is that though it is good to be rid of the threat of bin Laden, his death could mean the frightening possibility of retaliation from al-Qeada.

“I feel relieved, but I am also a little scared,” says English teacher Mr. Frey. “This could give people who have a lot of anger toward the U.S. a lot more reason to hate us–not to say that we should not have done it.”

“I think his death was necessary to potect U.S. citizens and citizens around the world, but it does bring up a concern that his followers might retaliate violently, causing more innocent people to die,”  Samantha Arnold, a freshman, says.

Similarly, Paige Guarino, also a freshman, says, “I suppose it is a good thing that there is now one less extremist out there, but I cannot help but wonder if there is going to be retaliation.  I hope not.”

“I think we are kind of asking for it by televising all of the cheering.  It is kind of barbaric for people to be so happy about the death of somebody, even somebody who killed a bunch of people,” Daniel Bouffa says.

Some do not see it as the answer to all of our problems, and  think that bin Laden’s death could lead to complications with other countries.

“I am happy he is dead, but I do not condone murder,”  Ethan Gottlieb, a sophomore, says.

Freshman Colin Roshak believes, “The location of the compound in which Osama Bin Laden was hiding brings to light the possibility of Pakistani involvement in the hiding of a psychopathic mass murderer.  This is concerning.”

“I think it is good to have closure for the victims of 9/11.  I do not think it is the answer to all of the issues in Afganistan, but I do think it is a good day for the U.S,” comments Alyson Geary, principal of HHS.