On the Long Road to Victory: Hiller Varsity Wrestling

Photos and article by Johanna Berton
The Hiller’s Varsity Wrestling team dominated visiting team Shepard Hill last night, January 12th. The Hillers (4-8) started off with a struggle, losing 18 to 0 in the first three matches, but they quickly recovered and did not allow their opponent to score again. The Hillers came off with their fourth win of the season, with an impressive score of 59 to 18.

Senior captains Tommy Karner, Mike Ferris, and Pete Racenis lead the team in points with a combined score of 18. Strong performances also by sophomore Tucker Mayo, who had his opponent pinned almost the entire match, and junior Matt Dry, who controlled his match from start to finish. “Everyone did very well this match,” says senior captain Tommy Karner, “we just need to keep our heads in it and not get cocky after having one good, duel meet.” Karner is one of the top wrestlers on the team, with a personal record of 16-3 on the season. “Since it was a sectional opponent,” Karner explains, “it will help me in getting a good ranking at sectionals.”

Lead by coaches Tim Nelson, Ryan Dewolfe, Eric Dewolfe, and Corey Mills, the Hillers plan on going far this season and Karner says, “we just want to try our hardest and improve every match.” The Hillers are determined to succeed this season, and are preparing everyday for upcoming matches and tournaments.

The Hillers will be competing in the Northbridge Tournament this Saturday, January 16th, starting at 10am.  Their next home game is the following week against Holliston on Thursday, January 21 starting at 7pm.