Boys Varsity Soccer Wins TVL Title

Junior defender Wesley Ericksen, throws the ball back into play on November 2. Photo by Maritza Gamboa
Junior defender Wesley Ericksen, throws the ball back into play on November 2nd. Photo by Maritza Gamboa

By Maritza Gamboa

The Varsity Soccer Boys played an unforgettable game Monday, November 2 against Medfield. It was the Varsity boy’s last game before tournament, but more importantly the game determining if they would become the 2009 TVL Champions. The pressure was high as the boys stepped onto the field on the chilly night.

The game started off shaky as the boys were put to the test. Medfield tried to score persistently throughout the first half. Luckily, goalkeeper Malcolm Cheney consistently saved the ball, ending the first half 0-0. In the second half the boys were determined to win, giving Medfield a taste of their own medicine. Both teams played strong defense, keeping the fans on their feet the entire game. In the last eight minutes Hopkinton attempted three amazing shoots. Unfortunately none were successful. Senior Kenny Hayes comments, “Both us and Medfield tried our hardest to score, yet neither of us could finish. We knew we could not lose this game to Medfield. We had to win or tie to earn the TVL title. The team had worked too hard this season to lose it all.” The game ended as it started, 0-0. Even though Hopkinton did not score, it did not equal a loss, making Hopkinton TVL Champions. The moment after the referee blew the final whistle, the boys all raced onto the center of the field, jumping and celebrating together. Hayes says, “Hopkinton Boys Soccer has not won the TVL title in 7 years. It feels amazing to finally win.”

Congratulations Boys Hopkinton Soccer on a well deserved award. Good luck in Tournament.

View Comments (1)