The Great Debate of the Early Morning Start

By Sarah Fromer and Josh Normandeau

For most students, waking up at 6 a.m. isn’t ideal. With start times being pushed later all across the nation, the 7:20 a.m. start time in Hopkinton is considerably early. When factoring in six hours for school, one hour for travel time to various locations, one hour to get ready for school, three hours for sports, five hours for homework, two hours for meals and hygiene, which leaves six hours for additional activities, including sleep.

According to the National Sleep Foundation, adolescents of high school age need on average nine and a quarter hours of sleep per night, which is difficult to obtain with the busy schedules students have these days. The early start and the routine of getting to school detracts from potential sleeping time. The lack of sleep manifests itself as tardies and sleeping in school. Also the strange New England weather does not help in the morning.
    The Hopkinton High School administration and Student Council have been discussing a change in the school start time. The final decisions have not been released just yet. Here is a look into a typical HHS student’s morning before school begins.

Justin Normandeau, high school freshman, presses the snooze button on his alarm clock before school. Photo by Josh Normandeau.
    Early Morning Start 2
    Traffic on Route 85 on the way to the high school. Photo by Sarah Fromer.
    Student purchases breakfast at the Hopkinton Gourmet to help her stay awake in the morning. Photo by Josh Normandeau.
    Senior Aidan Curry and sophomore Declan Curry rush from water towers parking lot to the high school just before the bell rings. Photo by Josh Normandeau.
    Students strolling into the high school after arriving by school bus or car. Photo by Sarah Fromer.
    Freshman Young Wang struggles to open his jammed locker before classes start. Photo by Josh Normandeau.
    Students gather in the atrium in anticipation of the bell to ring for first period. Photo by Sarah Fromer.
    A student arrives late to school on a cold snowy day. Photo by Josh Normandeau.
    Senior Rish Shadra receiving a tardy slip from Cindy at the booth. Photo by Sarah Fromer.
    A high school teacher arrives late to school on a snowy April morning. Photo by Josh Normandeau.
    Brian Gao, a senior, entering first period Spanish class late. Photo by Josh Normandeau.
    A senior asleep in front of her homework during first period study in the library. Photo by Sarah Fromer.