BeFree Fall Jam Spreads “Substance Free” Message

Hopkinton High School students gathered in the Cafeteria on Oct. 2 to watch their classmates perform music at the BeFree Fall Jam to promote a drug and alcohol free social event.

The BeFree Fall Jam was the kickoff event of the year. BeFree events give students an opportunity to attend a social event that they do not have to participate or be peer pressured into illegal substances.

Student musicians set up a stage in the cafeteria of HHS and performed throughout the night. There was a popular food table in the back of the cafeteria for the audience.

Some appearances of talented bands included Fuse and Escape. According to Escape band member Sam Cote, “It is a great opportunity to share music in a safe, substance free environment. Everyone involved in the club is so welcoming and enthusiastic.”  

Abby Hennigan, Breana Thomas, and Courtney Forsmo were some soloist performers. Not only were the soloist performers excellent singers, they also played their own acoustics on the ukelele, guitar, and piano.

“Performing was really scary! The stage fright you get from performing always makes you feel like it’s your first time onstage,” said Courtney Forsmo, senior. But it was such a nice and supporting community so by the time it was over, I felt really happy that I took the leap of faith to perform.”

Guidance counselor Kiely Murray is the advisor of the club. Murray says her main goal of holding events like these is to “Provide support and social opportunities for students who choose to be substance-free and to promote healthy decisions among all students.” Murray’s personal goal is to “Provide an opportunity for students to think about the decisions they make.”

The student body remained a supportive audience throughout the whole 2 and a half hour performance. Chaperones Mr. Pominville, Ms. Alberry, and Mr. Flanagan seemed happy to be working at such a fun event.

BeFree club officers are seniors Jack Cote and Josh Normandeau and junior Ben Fargiano. Each officer has been a member of the club since their freshman year of high school.

The members of the BeFree club at Hopkinton High School host various events throughout the school year. Future events BeFree will be holding this school year include a handball game and winter “coffee house.”