Live4Evan Heart Screenings

On September 25, the non-profit Live4Evan came to Hopkinton High School and provided free ECG screenings for the students of HHS.

Junior Sam Cestari gets ECG at Hopkinton High School last Friday September 25. Behind: left, Jack Nealon (Co-founder of Live4Evan), Dr. Jack Cadigan (cardiologist at Boston Medical Center), Patrick Cusanelli (Live4Evan representative), Evan Ernst (Founder of Who.We.Play.For) Photo by: Julia Joshi

Live4Evan teamed up with Who.We.Play.For and brought their positive energy to Hopkinton High and gave free ECGs their purpose being to prevent sudden cardiac arrest in young students, especially athletes. 

“This is the second heart screening in the TVL,” said Evan Ernst, founder of Who.We.Play.For. “The purpose is to try and prevent sudden cardiac death as sudden cardiac arrest is the leading cause of death in student athletes.”

Students were able to sign up for a time slot the week preceding the screenings at lunch and there were also available walk-ins for people who did not sign up. Students went to the training room with their signed consent form for a quick 15 minute process of the ECG. The results of their test were to be emailed them after the testing.

Kate Welzel, a senior and student athlete, said she got her heart screened to “be aware of the possibilities” and to also makes sure things are currently okay with her heart.

Maggie Reynolds, also a senior, said that she “wanted to make sure nothing is wrong and I don’t have any heart problems.”

Live4Evan also participates in many events including the Boston Marathon and other local 5k races to try and promote a healthy and active lifestyle.