Changes in the Library: Past and Present

By Shae Feather and Jill Sullivan

The Hopkinton High School Library has seen many changes since librarian Kirsten Fournier arrived, and she is planning many changes still to come.

For group studying, students often reside to the library. Photo by Jillian Sullivan.

Fournier, who is in her second year described the recent changes in the library, “We re-organized part of our reference section and moved out magazines to higher shelving, so we could create a more open floor plan for classes that wanted to utilize the space and for people who wanted to do group work in here.”

In regards to the tables outside the library, Fournier says that the library had little to do with them. “Mr. Bishop wanted to provide some extra seating for students that were not leaving for the long lunch blocks but also didn’t want a quiet space in the library.” When asked about what the purpose of the tables were, she said, “It seems to be quite a fluid area where students come and go. We see mostly seniors there during their free periods but then we also see some underclassmen sometimes.”

The future of the library looks to not be so ‘library’ at all, yet, it will become ‘more of an information hub’.  Fournier adds,“I applied for a makers-base grant which would basically provide us with the funding an innovative lab area for students who wanted to use it–sort of an artsy, craftsy, technology-related space.”

Despite the reduction in the amount of computers, students still enjoy the space of the library for socializing and working. Photo by Jillian Sullivan.

The library, also known as the media center, has big things headed its way in the coming years. “It would definitely bring the library forward as more of a 21st century learning model. I think we have a great library here and this space has a lot of potential.”