Library’s Book Beat – October

Librarian - Ms. Fournier

Librarian
    Mrs. Kirsten Fournier
    kfournier [at] hopkinton [dot] k12[dot] ma[dot] us
    Library Assistant
    Mrs. Charleen Belcher
    cbelcher [at] hopkinton [dot] k12 [dot] ma [dot] us
    Library Hours
    Monday – Thursday 7:25am – 3:30pm
    Friday 7:25pm – 3:00pm
    Phone: (508) 497-9820 ext. 1218
    Twitter: @library_hhs
    Pinterest: libraryhhs

Teen Read Week

A national adolescent initiative created by the Young Adult Library Services Association (YALSA), Teen Read Week is held annually and its purpose is to encourage teens to be regular readers and library users.

This year’s Teen Read Week theme is “Turn Dreams into Reality,” and will be recognized October 12 – 18. Stop by the HHS Library to check out some new books in honor of TRW!

Digital Tools

Timeline

Looking for a way to make those timelines a little more interactive? Try Timeline by Knight Lab. Timeline is an open source tool that can use a basic Google spreadsheet to create interactive and dynamic looking timelines. Insert media from sources such as Twitter, Flickr, Google Maps, YouTube, Vimeo, Vine, Wikipedia, SoundCloud, and more. Tell a story and publish it to the web for others to see! A neat tool for studying particular time periods, events, etc.

Check out some samples.

Flocabulary

Looking for new ways to engage students in classroom content? Try Flocabulary, an online library of multiple subject educational hip-hops songs and videos for grades K – 12.

Easel.ly

Using Infographics to Present Data? Easel.ly is an online tool for creating infographics, which also allows users to drag and drop pre-made design elements, including charts. Show that data in a more aesthetically pleasing format!

Club Info

HHS Book Club Meeting – Monday, Oct 13th

The HHS Book Club is holding their next meeting Thursday, October 12th from 2:00 – 3:00pm in the library’s seminar room. The group is reading and discussing two books for their October meeting, If I Stay by Gayle Forman, and Horns by Joe Hill. New members welcome!

HHS Comic Book/Graphic Novel Club Meeting -  Tuesday, October 14

New members welcome!

Haunted Happenings

Nearby Salem, MA is a city rich with local history. During the month of October, the city hosts Haunted Happenings, comprised of various events and activities related to it’s tumultuous history. See the infamous witch trials of 1692 reenacted, take a ghostly stroll through some of Salem’s oldest burial grounds, or visit the House of the Seven Gables, birthplace of The Scarlet Letter author, Nathaniel Hawthorne. And to get in the Halloween spirt, don’t forget to visit the gallery at The Scarlett Letter Press! See the pages of horror master Edgar Allen Poe’s grim stories represented in visual artwork. All month long!

America’s Libraries By the Numbers

Check out some library stats in the infographic below. Learn more about the role your library play in your community. And see why you should be getting a public library card, if you don’t already have one!