HHS Grading Policy Under Review

Photos and article by Becca Plunkett

The buzz around school has been that a new grading policy will be soon coming into effect, but its actual implementation remains a long-term goal. Teachers say that the new policy will focus mainly on participation and how well a student knows a subject, rather than homework, tests, and quiz grades. Ms. Moothart, a secretary in the office, believes that the students would learn and understand the information “so much more” if the new grading policy comes into effect.

Ms. Moothart, secretary at Hopkinton High School.

The largest obstacle this new policy will face is getting Hopkinton residents, students, teachers, the school board, and the administration to all come to an agreement on the issue. According to HHS English teacher Mr. Frey, the grading policy probably won’t be changed for at least a few more years, and even then only if all parties can compromise.

Mr. Frey, English teacher at Hopkinton High School.

Mr. Gates, a teacher in the history department, devotes class time to talking about the changes that may soon come into play. “Students will have a clear indication of what they are truly learning,” he says, outlining the benefits of the system. Despite the fact that teachers will have a harder time keeping track of the students’ grades, Mr. Gates believes that changing the policy will nevertheless be better for both the students and the teachers.

HHS teacher Mr. Gates.

Brennan Lavoie, a sophomore at HHS, remarks, “It would be an advantage for students that know the material and enjoy speaking in class. For the students that know the material and are nervous to speak during class, but do well on tests, the new policy might effect the students negatively.” Every student is different. Some are more outgoing than others and can get an A easily by participating and talking during class. For those however, that are a bit shy, they might have trouble maintaining their grades because they are not used to talking during class as much. Overall the new policy could give new students a chance to talk in class.

Brennan Lavoie, high school sophomore.

The administration is considering the proposed new policy’s potential impact on HHS students as well as the teachers. Without the established framework of grading, students could take risks and be more confident without fear of a failing grade. Class participation would increase and there could be a more familiar relationship between teachers and students.