Student Summit Fuels Pep Rally Changes

On Thursday, October 13th, student council got together and decided on the spirit week clothing and what will be done during pep rally. Photo by Jackie Chirco

By Jackie Chirco
    Friday, October 7th: In response to recent student and community outbursts regarding the changes made to Pep Rally, HHS administrators organized a student summit run by an outside facilitator. One member from each student advisory plus all of student government was invited, along with some teachers.

Mediator Carri Hulet gave the students time to express their feelings about the changes and give new ideas for the upcoming pep rally.

The first 45 minutes were spent by inviting students to speak up and say how they felt about pep rally’s recent changes. The students then grouped up at tables and talked about changes they would like to see at this year’s pep rally.

Carri involved the teachers as well by including them and the administration in the “table talk” portion of the meeting.

AP history teacher Mrs. Nancy Clark said, “The table talk was great… I liked being a part of that. The group I listened to was focused and they had some refreshingly new ideas.”

Although there was some controversy among the student body of whether or not the administration would use ideas from the summit, student council recently put up posters around the school displaying new spirit day ideas.

“We are very open about the ideas that students came up with, and we want this pep rally to be very student driven,” stated Vice Principal Mr. Bishop. Pep rally will take place on Friday, October 21st following spirit week.

View Comments (1)