Relay for Life was a Proven Success

By: Kate Bransfield

On May 29, the third annual Relay for Life was held at the track behind the Hopkinton High School. Relay for Life is a fundraiser of the American Cancer Society that aims to help find a cure for cancer. The American Cancer Society wants to promote advocacy, education, research, and Patient Services. Advocacy consists of persuading lawmakers to consider assisting medical professionals in finding the cure for the disease. The educational portion is learning about ways to prevent oneself from getting cancer and creating better treatment options for patients. Research consists of using sources to figure out how to stop the occurrence of cancer. Patient Services is being able to answer questions that people may have by picking up phone calls.  

Hosting the Relay in Hopkinton has proven to have had very positive effects over the years. First of all, the number of teams has increased from between forty and fifty teams the first year to eighty-eight this year. In total this year, 900 people, 300 chaperones, and fifty survivors registered and took the time to help because they believed in the cause. In 2007, the goal of $30,000 was actually a low expectation because $116,000 was donated collectively.  Last May in 2008, the committee hoped to achieve higher standards. Overall, 550 supporters attended and $142,000 was raised. Now, the goal is $150,000.  However, the total amount of donations collected will be unknown until August 31 because that is when the fundraiser officially ends. 

To fundraise for the Relay, Hopkinton participants collected donations before the Relay and walked around the track all night to show their support. Teams fundraised by hosting food drives, garage sales, and raffles to raise money for the charity. Some teachers even got dunked in a tank to raise money. One of our assistant principals, Mr. Arienti, got wet along with Mr. Graeber, Mr. Joyce, and an eighth grade history teacher named Mrs. McClelland.

Fundraising is not the only thing people did while at the Relay. Some individuals decided to take part in a Cancer Prevention Study located next to the track. Each year a new topic is presented. This study was used to advise people about how genetics and the environment can increase their risk of being diagnosed with cancer. Blood was drawn from cancer-free adults to help civilians that have the disease. Another significant part of the Relay was the luminara ceremony. The purpose of the ceremony was to honor and remember loved ones that were effected by the disease. Bags surrounding the track were lit to represent people that survived, lost their lives, or are currently battling cancer.  

The Relay for Life was well-organized and it was a lot of fun. Despite the rain, everyone seemed to have a great time and next year’s Relay will be even better. It is strongly recommended that people that didn’t attend this year try to sign up for next year. Memories were created and hope was alive.