Senior Girls Beat Juniors by 12 Points

Junior girls strategizing with Coach Franchock during half time at the Powderpuff game. Photo by Caroline Devine

By Caroline Devine
    Tuesday, November 23, HHS junior and senior girls played a competitive game of flag football on the football field at 7 pm, and the senior girls won with a score of 42-30.

This year was the school’s fourth annual powder-puff game.  Twenty-nine girls participated on the junior girls team, and junior boys Mike Palmer, Jason Dlugolecki, Tyler DeWolfe, Mike Decina, and Alex Hulme assisted the team in addition to their coaches, Mike Franchok and Mike Greco (both teachers at HHS).  Twenty-six girls played for the senior team, and senior boys Colin Sullivan, Evan Katz, JT Riga, Dave Ramsey, Brendan Litavis, and Joe Kelly helped the team along with their coaches.  The seniors were coached by Evan Bishop, one of the Assistant Principals at HHS, and Mike Hooker, a teacher at HHS.

With a score of 8 to 0 only seven minutes into the game, the senior girls started off strong.  Later on, junior Emily Jarvis scored a touchdown, making the score 8 to 6.  The seniors had several interceptions throughout the game, including one by Emily Blake and another by Liz Kelley.  Blake later scored a 40-yard touchdown.  The game was moving quickly with a score of 14 (seniors) to 6 (juniors) with 9 minutes 30 seconds left in the first half.  By halftime, the seniors were leading 22-6.

The next touchdown of the game was scored by junior Tamara Mills only four minutes into the second half.  Right after the juniors scored, senior Steph Hadley scored a touchdown, increasing the seniors’ lead to 28 to 14.  The senior team had many great passes between Kelsey Baker and Michelle Cooprider, while juniors Jennifer Lynds and Lindsey Doucette used their speed to sprint to the ball throughout the game.  A shock to the crowd, the juniors scored another touchdown with only four seconds left on the clock.  The juniors could not catch up; however, and the seniors won 42 to 30!

After the game, the question of whether the class of 2012 or the class of 2013 will win the game next year was already floating around the stands.