Hopkinton's Star Goalie Recruited by Keene State

Malcolm Cheney Portrait
Hopkinton High School's star goalie Malcolm Cheney is ready to set records next fall on the Keene State soccer team. Photo by Shannon Wright

By Kelsey Krapf
Senior Malcolm Cheney of Hopkinton High School is ready for the big change. Recently, Cheney was recruited to play soccer at Keene State College as the goalie. He has also been able to keep up his grades and made the Honor Roll. He plans to major in History, while having a good time playing soccer and being with friends. Malcolm stated, ” As soon as I stepped foot on Keene’s campus, I immediately knew that it is where I wanted to go. I really liked the school and soccer program. It was also the right size. I did my visits at bigger division I schools, like URI and UMASS, but I didn’t feel at home like I did at Keene.”

Malcolm started playing soccer at an early age and has loved it ever since. He started playing goalie in fifth grade and his coaches realized he has a true talent. His parents have been extremely supportive and have attended almost every single one of his games. His dad, Jay Cheney, played soccer at Bentley University. His dad has been able to help him and inspire him to be so successful.

Cheney has played soccer for the Hopkinton High School Boys Varsity Soccer Team three years in a row, and he has always been the star goalie. He received the TVL All Star award two years in a row and the honor of being captain along with Chris Papadellis and Will Relle. Mr. Sawyer, the varsity coach at Hopkinton High, helped lead his team to a tremendous victory and incredible season. Sawyer and Cheney led the team to the Sectional Finals during Cheney’s senior year, and he also set a school record with twelve shut-outs.

Along with his success at Hopkinton High School, Cheney plays goalie for Mass Premier Soccer and led his team to the National Semi Finals in Florida. He also received the Eastern Mass All Star award, Metrowest Daily News Superteam, and Boston Globe All Scholastic.  Malcolm appreciates both of his coaches and says, “Both Coach Sawyer and my club coach, Peter Bradley, really helped me reach my potential and I thank them for that. They helped me narrow my choices and make my ultimate decisions.”

Malcolm doesn’t really have a favorite part of soccer; he just says, “I love playing the game and just being part of a team”. At Keene State, he has the potential to do well and set some unreal records.