#TBT Photo Essay- Behind the Scenes of 42nd Street

In less than two months, the HHS drama ensemble will stage its next production, Spoon River Anthology, featuring a cast of 25 students who will perform monologues describing life in a fictional small town in Illinois. Spoon River Anthology will be performed March 10, 11, and 12, but for now, this photo essay captures the magic of the drama ensemble’s fall performance of 42nd Street.

By: Sam Darkow, Anthony Fomin & Brent Leibowitz

On the weekend of Nov. 19, the HHS drama ensemble performed the musical 42nd Street. The cast needed to have tap dancers, and Director Valerie von Rosenvinge did not think it would ever be possible to put on because of the limited number of students. However, over the summer more than a dozen students learned to tap in preparation for the show’s 13 dance numbers, eight of which include tap.

The crew and cast must work together like a well-oiled machine. Starting pre-production week, which began on the week of Nov. 9, the crew, which started working on the play in the last week of October, and cast finally start to work in conjunction, the crew learning and working on set changes while the cast continually ran the entire show. On the week of the show, cast and crew are required to run through the show with complete costumes, sets, and every other technical element. The show opened on Nov. 19 at the middle school auditorium and concluded on Nov. 22, with the cast’s fourth and final performance. The hype surrounding the show, kindled by announcement posters adorning every part of the school, did not subside over the course of the performing weekend.

Samuel Faucher practicing the drums prior to the start of a run through.
Samuel Faucher practicing the drums prior to the start of a run-through.
Pit band members Samuel Faucher, Brian Best, and actor Clare Wu looking over the score to the show.
Mics used for the actors to amplify their voices. Mics are run by Mr. Brody and Fynn Bailey.
Stage manager McKenzie Simmons jumping from the set following one of the show’s quick set changes.
Stage manager McKenzie Simmons and crew member Meg Bradbury preparing to put together set piece.
Crew member Tommy Fromer in the process of building one of the show’s set pieces.
The run order for the first half of the show served as a reminder for both cast and crew about where to be during the show.
The run order for the first half of the show served as a reminder for both cast and crew about where to be during the production.
The tap shoes of Josh Normandeau. Tap dancing was an extremely important part of the show as eight of its dances included tap dancing.
The tap shoes of Josh Normandeau. Tap dancing was an extremely important part of the show, as eight of the dances included tap dancing.
The cast rehearses one of the show’s 13 dance numbers during rehearsal.
The cast performing the opening dance number at the final rehearsal.
The cast backstage just before the show started and the curtains opened.
The show’s director, Valerie Von Rosenvinge, giving her opening statement prior to the show’s start on opening night.
The entire cast of 42nd Street ending the show with a bang friday night.
The entire cast of 42nd Street ending the show with a bang on Friday night.