Apple Dazzles at WWDC

The Apple Store in Natick was filled after Tuesday's WWDC conference unveiling the new iPhone. Photo by Geoff Grady

By Geoff Grady
The newest iPhone may not be the “iPhone 5” that everyone was expecting, but Apple was still able to impress its audience by announcing the new iPhone 4S at their Apple Worldwide Developers Conference on Tuesday, October 10th.

On the outside, the iPhone 4S looks like just another iPhone 4, but on the inside it is completely different. The iPhone 4S comes packed with a dual-core A5 processor, an 8 megapixel camera, Siri, a personal voice assistant, and the new operating system, iOS 5.

“It’s pretty cool having all of the updates, software, and new features they’ve added,” said phone owner and HHS junior MC Nealon.

After adding the dual-core A5 processor, the iPhone 4S nearly doubles the speed of  the iPhone 4, and its 8 megapixel camera and 1080p video recording is thought to be the best in its class.

Siri, another revolutionary improvement to the iPhone, will also be added to the 4S. Siri is able to listen and give answers to questions. This new feature was shown off during the WWDC when the phone was asked, “Do I need a rain coat today?” and Siri responded by bringing up the weather forecast.

This feature, however, is only available for iPhone 4S users, and is not be released with iOS5, the new operating system for iPhones, iPads, and iPod Touches.

“iOS5, the world’s most advanced mobile operating system, is now with more than 200 features,” stated Apple CEO Tim Cook.

Apple has also taken on-screen notifications to a whole new level with the new system’s Notification Center, which allows users to scroll to see notifications such as reminders, messages, mail, calendar events, and even stocks.  There is also iMessage, which allows people with the system to message each other and have group chats.  Tabbed browsing in Safari, Twitter integration, photo editing, and multitasking gestures have also been added.

The iOS5 system has clearly set high expectations for the anticipated release of the Android’s “Ice Cream Sandwich” operating system, as well as Microsoft’s “Mango” system.