November 1, 2016
Filed under News
Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.
Email This Story
On the Issues
- Marijuana – supports full legalization
- Climate Change – “I accept the fact that there is global warming and I accept the fact that it’s man caused. That said, I am opposed to cap and trade. I’m a free market guy when it comes to the clean environment the number-one factor when it comes to the clean environment is a good economy.”
- Syrian Refugees – “We need to take our share,” estimates 65,000 would be our fair share.
- Abortion – “I leave abortion to the woman. I just fundamentally end there. I absolutely support a woman’s right to choose.”
- Affordable Care Act – Johnson would repeal Obamacare. “I would do everything I could to repeal President Obama’s healthcare plan. I think that very simply we can’t afford it,”
- Minimum Wage – Thinks the market should be able to decide what minimum wage is.
- International Relations – Promises to end our policing of the world and focus on domestic security. Soldiers will only be sent to war after debate in congress reveals clear deliberation.
Background and Time As Governor
- Served as governor of New Mexico from 1995 to 2003 as a Republican.
- According to the National Review, “Johnson inherited a debt of $1.8 billion and left a debt of $4.6 billion.”
- Overall reviews of Johnson’s time as governor are mixed.
- He used his veto power more than 700 times.
- Running with William “Bill” W
eld, Massachusetts governor during the 90’s.
Nationwide and Schoolwide Sentiment
- Ran for libertarian president in 2012 and 1.2 million (.99% of popular vote) voted for him.
- According to the Real Clear Politics average, he has about 9% nationwide.
- 6.9% of students say they are most likely to vote for Gary Johnson
- Average Gary Johnson voter rated their political attitude at 5.4 (almost exactly halfway between liberal and conservative. The average HHS student rated 4.7.