Hopkinton Residents Hit the Showers

Hygenic kits, supplied by the Medical Reserve Corps, were offered to Hopkinton residents who took advantage of the emergency showering facilities on Tuesday November 1st. Photo by Madison OIeson

By Maddie Oleson
On Tuesday, November 1, the Hopkinton Emergency Management Group (EMG) provided emergency showering facilities at the Hopkinton Middle School for residents affected by the recent snow storm.

The EMG is an advisory board comprised of representatives from all facets of town government, including police, fire, board of health, DPW, and selectmen.

Ken Clark, Hopkinton Fire Chief and head of the (EMG), stated that it was difficult to estimate how many residents were expected to take advantage of these facilities. He reported that there were 401 houses without power at noontime that day, but was unsure of how many had lost access to running water as well.

According to Valerie Whitehouse, chairperson for the Hopkinton branch of the Medical Reserve Corps, the Hopkinton Middle School facilities have the potential to accommodate hundreds of people over the course of an evening.

“This is actually the second time [that showers have been offered to Hopkinton residents]. During hurricane/tropical storm Irene the [EMG] did the same thing,” explained Whitehouse.

This event is free of charge for both the residents and the town of Hopkinton. Residents were asked to bring their own towels, but the MRC provided everyone with kits that included mini shampoo, soap, deodorant, toothpaste, and other hygienic essentials.

Valerie Whitehouse added, “We are volunteers. There is no cost. But the MRC does have grants and if we meet certain requirements they allot us funds.”

The emergency shower facilities were open from 6 to 9 pm, and after the first hour at least half a dozen people had appeared. The North family, who live close to the Holliston border, seem to be rather unlucky when it comes to New England weather. They are repeat customers to the EMG’s showering station, having lost power for five days after tropical storm Irene.

“I’m showering at work again every morning just like I did two months ago,” explained Nick North.

According to Christine Clifford, the secretary of the Hopkinton branch for the MRC, by Sunday afternoon all the hotels in Milford were fully booked.

The EMG offers valuable resources to Hopkinton residents who need assistance during emergencies and are not able to receive help from friends or family nearby.