Hopkinton Girls U-18 Soccer Team Tops North Attleboro

Senior goalie of the Hopkinton girl's U-18 travel soccer team, Shannon Wright, is ready to be put in the goal during the second half of the game.

By Katie Ryan
The Hopkinton girl’s U-18 travel soccer team won their home game, 6-4, on Sunday, May 16th against North Attleboro.The game started at 4:30 at the YMCA of Hopkinton with senior Allison Laurence in goal. Senior Shannon Wright took over in goal after halftime. “Both of our goalies were the reason we won the game. Sometimes, our defense was lacking, and they made spectacular saves throughout the game,” stated mid-fielder Maritza Gamboa.

Of the 6 goals scored by Hopkinton, junior Ashely Hoyt scored two of them. Senior Roya Servattalab commented, “Ashley holds our team. She has some of the best moves and has really good aim.”

Senior Chelsea Daugherty also contributed to Hopkinton’s victory by scoring a goal. “[Chelsea] plays defense, and she was able to dribble the ball all the way up the field to shoot and score,” said junior Abi Foster.

Junior Kelsey Krapf said, “North Attleboro had a higher skill level than us, but they were short two players on the field, while we had two subs.” North Attleboro didn’t have enough players for this 11 v 11 matchup with only 9 players to put on the field, and no subs for the entire game. Hopkinton was also missing players from their usual team of 17 people, but was able to start the game with 11 girls and no subs. Partway through the start of the game, 2 more girls showed up, allowing Hopkinton to have subs.

Editors note: The girls went on to play Natick in a 6-1 victory on Sunday, May 23rd. The heat and humidity made it difficult for both teams, but Hopkinton pulled through saving all but one goal and keeping the offense and the action at the opponents goal. Senior Danielle Crochiere made some great plays on defense and as a mid-fielder, and always got the ball up to Hopkinton’s excellent offense which included juniors Ashley Hoyt and Kelsey Krapf.